Constituton Project, Inc.

The Mission: Constitution Project, Inc., a Florida non-profit, was founded by Joseph Cofield, for the purpose of putting a copy of the U.S. Constitution and Declaration of Independence in the hands of every 5th grade student in Florida. That is a huge task, as there are over 200,000 5th graders in 67 different Florida counties, but progress ​ is being made thanks to Joseph's extraordinary efforts!

The How: Joseph began his mission in April 2014 and since then, many amazing things have happened. To gather support for his mission, in April of 2015 he began his 27 - 67 Journey Across Florida - visiting each of the 67 Florida counties, riding his bike 21 miles and running 6 in each county (one mile for each of the 27 Amendments). That is over 1,800 difficult miles meeting with state and county officials, school personnel and service organizations.

Friday, June 26, 2015

Heading to Sarasota County

America was built on courage, on imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand.
                                                                                                                   ---- Harry Truman

June 25, 2015 was a great rest day for me. I did no except rest and sort out the information from my journey in the eight counties that I have completed so far.

Below is the counties and school districts that I have visited so far:


  1. Collier County               -  April
  2. Lee County                    -  May
  3. Charlotte County          - June
  4. DeSoto County              - June
  5. Hardee County             - June
  6. Highland County          - June
  7. Henry County               - June
  8. Glades County              - June

For you information these are the next counties that I will traveling:

 
  1. Sarasota County
  2. Manatee County
  3. Hillsborough County
  4. Pinellas County
  5. Pasco County
  6. Citrus County
  7. Sumter County
  8. Lake County
Therefore, I am on my way to Sarasota County so that I can continue my journey.

I do want to say that the highlight day happened in the evening (June 25, 2015) when I got to witness the Rotary Club of Naples Collier installed their new officer during the 2015 - 2016 Installation Dinner at the Cypress Woods Golf and Country Club.

I owe many thanks to Nanci Reid, outgoing President Rotary Club of Naples Collier, for supporting the Constitution program and making it part of the Rotary sponsored projects. President Reid not only has established this project in the Rotary Club of Naples Collier but have encouraged other Rotary Club to do the same. She has gone to the District Governor and challenged as well to make the Constitution project the same as the Webster Dictionary project similar to the success that has been achieved at the 3rd grade level across the nation.

When you see that each of the 200,000 plus 5th grade students of Florida have obtained their Constitution booklets it is will be because President Nanci Reid had the vision and courage as President to implement this bold project into the Rotary Club network.

I truly believe if more leaders would do more and take positive action such as President Reid has done our youth and our nation will be in great shape for generations to come. When one tells you that one person cannot make a difference you can take them that is not true.

You can share with them my great story of how President Nanci Reid upon hearing my story of the Constitution and the importance of getting the booklets to our youth made one of the greatest decision in the history of the Rotary Club by establishing the Constitution project for the 5th grade students of Florida.

When you view the website and follow the Face Book of the Rotary Club of Naples Collier and see their wonderful accomplishments you will fully understand why leaders such as President Reid command respect and admiration; she started from day one of being in charge to the last day making a difference in the lives of others.

This act of kindness motivates me to start my new journey across Sarasota County on Friday, June 26, 2015.

I leave quotes on my blog and I try to match it with how I feel at the moment. The quote today is not only how I feel but dedicated to one of the greatest leaders that I have known since I left the United States Army. We do have great leaders beside the ones that wear the military uniform and I indeed found one of those great leaders when I had the honor to meet Nanci Reid.

America was built on courage, on imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand.
                                                                                                                   ---- Harry Truman
                              

No comments: