Constituton Project, Inc.

The Mission: Constitution Project, Inc., a Florida non-profit, was founded by Joseph Cofield, for the purpose of putting a copy of the U.S. Constitution and Declaration of Independence in the hands of every 5th grade student in Florida. That is a huge task, as there are over 200,000 5th graders in 67 different Florida counties, but progress ​ is being made thanks to Joseph's extraordinary efforts!

The How: Joseph began his mission in April 2014 and since then, many amazing things have happened. To gather support for his mission, in April of 2015 he began his 27 - 67 Journey Across Florida - visiting each of the 67 Florida counties, riding his bike 21 miles and running 6 in each county (one mile for each of the 27 Amendments). That is over 1,800 difficult miles meeting with state and county officials, school personnel and service organizations.

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Hendry and Glades Counties are now complete

June 24, 2015


“Everyone needs beauty as well as bread, places to pray in and play in, where nature may heal and give strength to the body and soul alike.” 

                                                                                                             ------John Muir

I never realized that pain could be so rewarding. I have gotten much wiser and do my running much earlier if before the light of the day because the trip to Hardee County made me realize that the cycling is okay even in the heat but the running is a killer.

It actually reached 98 degrees today and you will see from the posting of the picture from Glades County as I was standing near the board at the library which reflects 92 degrees. The great thing about cycling is that the breeze really keeps you cool and tend to forget how hot it is until you stop and take a drink of water.

I do manage to drink plenty of liquid and make stops along the way. When I am riding in the populated area it is nice. However, when I was cycling along those long roads with nothing but cows and field to remain me of my journey it is not fun.

Therefore, I believe those of you who love nature will appreciate the quote.

I will post more about my journey because it was one of the rewarding and exciting of all my trips so far. I not only visited the school districts and met with the superintendents but I got see a brand new combined Middle and High School in the Glades and the School District in the government complex during my visit to Hendry County.

You will be in for a treat as I share with you the story of cycling along the longest area of walking trail that Governor Lawton Chiles completed during his walk.

Just as they do on Sport Center on radio and the News on television; you have wait a little bit to read about my entire wonderful journey today. I am even going to give you a picture this time on my next post. Until then please enjoy one of my favorite quotes which I just got today from my mentor and great friend.

 
“Everyone needs beauty as well as bread, places to pray in and play in, where nature may heal and give strength to the body and soul alike.”

                                                                                                   ------John Muir
 
 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Joseph - I am glad you are enjoying the journey - your posts are well written and your cause is a good one - keep up the good work!

Joseph Cofield said...

Hello Susan, I thank you very much for your comment. Today was a rest day for me and getting your message just motivated me for next journey into Sarasota County today (June 26, 2015). Please keep following my posting.