Constituton Project, Inc.

The Mission: Constitution Project, Inc., a Florida non-profit, was founded by Joseph Cofield, for the purpose of putting a copy of the U.S. Constitution and Declaration of Independence in the hands of every 5th grade student in Florida. That is a huge task, as there are over 200,000 5th graders in 67 different Florida counties, but progress ​ is being made thanks to Joseph's extraordinary efforts!

The How: Joseph began his mission in April 2014 and since then, many amazing things have happened. To gather support for his mission, in April of 2015 he began his 27 - 67 Journey Across Florida - visiting each of the 67 Florida counties, riding his bike 21 miles and running 6 in each county (one mile for each of the 27 Amendments). That is over 1,800 difficult miles meeting with state and county officials, school personnel and service organizations.

Monday, September 7, 2015

Today is really Labor Day...

September 7, 2015

Today was the day that I was supposed to complete my journey across Florida with the completion of each of the 67 counties.

Hurricane Erika forced me back home because no way I was going to leave my wife home alone in the mist of our first hurricane in the past several years. Secondly, my journey along the Atlantic Coast was so interesting that I actually spent more time than I actually wanted. However, it was all good and once you see my pictures and read my story you will understand.

I stayed in Duval County for two days and two nights because I found Jacksonville such a wonderful place and of course the school district is rich with such history. I would suggest for you a very interesting book for your reading enjoyment:

In No Ways Tired: The NAACP's Struggle to Integrate the Duval County Public School System, by Abel A. Bartley, 2015

If you decide to purchase this book, I would kindly ask you to let the manager of the store know that you are in support of the 27 - 67 Journey Across Florida. A donation of $1.00 will be awarded to the school of your choice toward the purchase of a Constitution booklets for a fifth grade student.

You just let me know where you purchased the copy of the In No Ways Tired with the date, location, and purchased price of the book and a donated copy of a Constitution booklet will be awarded to the school of your choice with a note of your contribution to the school district.

I believe that you will find your great purchase of the In No Ways Tired will be a great read for you and you would have contributed to getting another one of the 200,000 fifth grade students a copy of the Constitution booklet. Thanks in advance for your dedication of learning more about the Duval County Public School System and equally important your commitment of helping to our youth expand their knowledge of the United States Constitution.

Finally, I want to let you know that I timed my visit in this area of Florida so that I could be in St. Johns County; in order to take part in America's Oldest City 450th Anniversary Celebration of St. Augustine. I not only got to do my 27 miles in St. Augustine but got an opportunity to visit with several members of the school district and during the evening learn more about our oldest city in the nation without reading a book.

This was my second trip to St. Augustine. My first visit was so short that I recalled only the old school and Fort Mose and this time I feel that I really got to know St. Augustine. I had the opportunity to review the history and share with the wonderful people about their pride of the past and excitement about the presence and future of the amazing treasure spot of Florida.

I wish each of you a Happy Labor Day and I will post some of the pictures and share some of the wonderful places that I have visited during my journey across Florida.

Joseph

No comments: