Constituton Project, Inc.

The Mission: Constitution Project, Inc., a Florida non-profit, was founded by Joseph Cofield, for the purpose of putting a copy of the U.S. Constitution and Declaration of Independence in the hands of every 5th grade student in Florida. That is a huge task, as there are over 200,000 5th graders in 67 different Florida counties, but progress ​ is being made thanks to Joseph's extraordinary efforts!

The How: Joseph began his mission in April 2014 and since then, many amazing things have happened. To gather support for his mission, in April of 2015 he began his 27 - 67 Journey Across Florida - visiting each of the 67 Florida counties, riding his bike 21 miles and running 6 in each county (one mile for each of the 27 Amendments). That is over 1,800 difficult miles meeting with state and county officials, school personnel and service organizations.

Monday, July 20, 2015

Another amazing story about being an American Citizen

July 20, 2015

 
“Those who say it can’t be done are usually interrupted by those who are doing it"
                                                                                                          - Lee Pitt

An amazing thing happened to me while in Pinellas County; and I must share it with you now that I have some energy back in the body.

Lee Pitts Alive is the longest running television Talk Host Show in Southwest Florida. His words of wisdom that I heard so many years ago when I got here in Southwest Florida ring true today as it did about 15 years ago when I first heard them.

As I continue my journey across Florida, I met some wonderful people before and after my six (6) miles run as part of the 27 miles journey. One of those people was the young lady at the front desk of the Hampton Inn in Largo (Pinellas County) and when she saw my 27 - 67 shirt she wanted to share the story of how she got her citizenship and this year voted for the first time.

I was so moved by this story that it motivated me during my entire six miles and as I was running it seemed like the shortest six miles that I ever did because I was focusing on her story and remembering the time that I was in Tampa at the same Citizenship Ceremony with one of my former students and his parents as he got his citizenship.

If you never been to one of those citizenship ceremonies, I would challenge you to go and even better be part of the ceremony by taking a person with you who will be receiving the citizenship for the first time.

This section will be in three parts:

Section one the start of Diana, Customer Service Desk Clerk Hampton Inn, and her joy of coming from Colombia as a child; seeing the parent struggle, working her way through the American school system, finally being called an American Citizen. Diana's story is just another reason why the journey across Florida is so important to me. How she tells about seeing her parents after 25 years become citizens and casting her vote for the first time are things that make me realize that the American Dream is still alive today and people are taking advantage of the opportunity to achieve the American Dream.

After viewing the picture of Diana, I will invite you take the test about citizenship and see how much you know about your country. The test is similar to one that Diana and others must take to prove their citizenship and earn the right to vote. We often take for grant that wonderful gift even to us under the United States Constitution.


Now let me see if you earn your citizenship by getting at least 15 of the 25 question below on this link about citizenship and how much you know about your country:


Answer 15 correctly to pass...

​Click below:​



Please have fun and watch for part two coming your way on the next blog.

Joseph

“Those who say it can’t be done are usually interrupted by those who are doing it"
                                                                                                          - Lee Pitt

No comments: