Constituton Project, Inc.

The Mission: Constitution Project, Inc., a Florida non-profit, was founded by Joseph Cofield, for the purpose of putting a copy of the U.S. Constitution and Declaration of Independence in the hands of every 5th grade student in Florida. That is a huge task, as there are over 200,000 5th graders in 67 different Florida counties, but progress ​ is being made thanks to Joseph's extraordinary efforts!

The How: Joseph began his mission in April 2014 and since then, many amazing things have happened. To gather support for his mission, in April of 2015 he began his 27 - 67 Journey Across Florida - visiting each of the 67 Florida counties, riding his bike 21 miles and running 6 in each county (one mile for each of the 27 Amendments). That is over 1,800 difficult miles meeting with state and county officials, school personnel and service organizations.

Saturday, July 25, 2015

Two more counties down...Pasco and Hernando Counties

July 25, 2015

After being forced to return to Naples to take care of a major air conditioner and plumbing problems, I was so thrilled get back on road again.

My first stop was back to Pinellas County to retrieve my running shoes and other things that I left behind while racing back home to repair the air conditioner and plumbing in the kitchen.

The trip to turned out to be a great blessing because I got an opportunity to meet the customer clerk name Diana which I told you about passing her Citizenship test and voting for the first time.



I will tell you more about that in my next blog. However, I will leave you with the good news that Diana brother did an internship at Senator Marco Rubio office in Washington D.C. and I will share those pictures as well.

Another exciting thing is that observed Diana and her manager Tina receive a score of 24 out of the possible 25 on the test I placed on the blog earlier. I am thrilled that people are visiting the blog page and equally excited that people are applying and using the information being posted.

I quickly left Pinellas County and headed over to Hillsborough County to retrieve my donated thirty (30) Constitution booklets. Mr. Holt the High School Social Studies Coordinator felt that since his 7th grade students scored high on the Civic Education End of Course Exam the material they had in place were good enough. Since I could not convince him that it is never good enough until 100 percent of the students achieved success, I figured that I let him be happy and give my donation to those who would use it (I do not have enough wealth to give away my hard earned things to people who do not desire them) so we both left happy.

You will discover in my next posting how important this decision was to return to Hillsborough County. I rarely attempt to revisit a county once I leave because I feel that I have done everything possible to express how dedicated and committed that I am to getting every fifth grade student in Florida a copy of the Constitution. Those who get the message and will try harder I believe started to do so immediately after I left the area. On the other hands, I know those who did not want to hear me before are doing no more than they did before hearing me so there is no reason to return but rather move onward to those who needs to hear about the importance and positive impact having a Constitution booklet in the hands of our youth can be in making a difference.

You will not want to miss my next blog because not only will you read about the great news about the return to Pinellas and Hillsborough Counties but you will be thrilled with my visits in rural areas of Pasco and Hernando Counties.

I have always wanted to visit these counties because I wrote so much about their early school systems after Reconstruction and the activities of the Freemen Bureau in these areas. Now when I finish my journey across the 67 counties these are two areas that I will be returning to spend more time. You will see why I have so much interest once I shall my adventures with you in my travels to Pasco County and 27 miles in Hernando County that took me into the dark of the night to complete.

Unlike my GPS taking me directly to the Pasco County School District, it took very careful and detail directions from the Hernando County Policeman to get me to the Hernando County School District.
However, I found another wonderful time in yet a region of my adopted state that I had now visited for the first time.

Joseph

No comments: