Constituton Project, Inc.

The Mission: Constitution Project, Inc., a Florida non-profit, was founded by Joseph Cofield, for the purpose of putting a copy of the U.S. Constitution and Declaration of Independence in the hands of every 5th grade student in Florida. That is a huge task, as there are over 200,000 5th graders in 67 different Florida counties, but progress ​ is being made thanks to Joseph's extraordinary efforts!

The How: Joseph began his mission in April 2014 and since then, many amazing things have happened. To gather support for his mission, in April of 2015 he began his 27 - 67 Journey Across Florida - visiting each of the 67 Florida counties, riding his bike 21 miles and running 6 in each county (one mile for each of the 27 Amendments). That is over 1,800 difficult miles meeting with state and county officials, school personnel and service organizations.

Friday, July 10, 2015

I Finally Could Explain to Someone Why This 27 -67 Journey Across Florida is Important to me...and with some special pictures

July 10, 2015

Please do check out some of the wonderful pictures from Polk County...you will soon find the importance of this trip!

I am often asked why I am committed and dedicated to doing the 27 - 67 Journey Across Florida.

I immediately know the person who asked me this question never:

  • Read the book Walkin' Lawton!
  • Read the story of my experience as a James Madison Fellow and sharing the Summer of 2009 with some of the most amazing and professional educators I ever met in my life!
  • Read the Liberty Day Institute Constitution booklet that I want in the hands of every 5th grade student in Florida!
  • Taught a middle school student: who was part of the College Reach out Program (CROP), overcame English being the second language, reached superior levels of excellence in high school, college, and highly successful in his new profession. You could not have heard me tell this story because you would have known I had the honor of going to the Citizenship Ceremony in Tampa, Florida and watched this young man become an American Citizen. You would have heard me tell the story of how this young student picked a copy of the Constitution booklet off my desk and how it transformed his life and how his family is now a model of how the story of the American Dream is still alive and well.
  • Heard a parent tell you how as an educator because of the caring and going beyond the call of duty have directly led to a son joining the military (Marines) who almost wanted to give up but refused after hearing how the military helped me make my life dreams become a reality...and as Paul Harvey use to say, "Now the rest of the story."

I was so touched by the parent who shared with me on July 8, 2015 how her daughter used the Constitution booklet that I gave her to focus on her Civic Education and started making all A's in class as well as being the only student to max her final Civic Exam in her class. This is a 7th grade student who is prepared to take on the advance classes in the 8th grade and who will meet the challenges of high school and college.

This student just as my middle school student many years ago took that Constitution booklet and applied it her life and those words took on a new meaning and focus in her young life.

You heard the success story of the young man who now makes more money that most teachers because who picked up the Constitution booklet from my desk and wanted to know more about the words on the printed pages. If you care to follow the young 7th grade girl success during the rest of middle school and her life journey, you will understand why this journey is important.

It does not shock me at all because I had a social studies teacher by name of Mr. Winston Dale who took the time to with a young kid by the name of Joseph L. Cofield and transformed him into a person who forever had a love for those printed words in the Constitution and it shaped my life about what being a American is all about. It also helped me to realize the honor and responsibility that I have to share this with others.

Therefore, you see just maybe others will pick up that Constitution booklet and allow it to make a difference in their lives just as the stories that you have just read. Now, you know and if you are one of those who follow my blog and my 27 - 67 journey across Florida unlike the person who never did those things that I listed in the bullet statement you will know why I am motivated to complete my journey across Florida and help get those Constitution booklets to our youth.

Joseph



No comments: