Constituton Project, Inc.

The Mission: Constitution Project, Inc., a Florida non-profit, was founded by Joseph Cofield, for the purpose of putting a copy of the U.S. Constitution and Declaration of Independence in the hands of every 5th grade student in Florida. That is a huge task, as there are over 200,000 5th graders in 67 different Florida counties, but progress ​ is being made thanks to Joseph's extraordinary efforts!

The How: Joseph began his mission in April 2014 and since then, many amazing things have happened. To gather support for his mission, in April of 2015 he began his 27 - 67 Journey Across Florida - visiting each of the 67 Florida counties, riding his bike 21 miles and running 6 in each county (one mile for each of the 27 Amendments). That is over 1,800 difficult miles meeting with state and county officials, school personnel and service organizations.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

My Amazing Journey in Broward County


July 14, 2015 

"Every good citizen makes his country's honor his own, and cherishes it not only as precious

but as sacred."   - Andrew Jackson

I truly had an amazing time during my journey in Broward County. I learned that even in the summer this Broward County Public School District is very busy. My first indication was the parking problem.

Finally I saw an empty spot and the security lady giving out tickets. No long term parking but rather like being at the airport each hour cost three dollars. I quickly came to realize that feeding the parking meter would cost me an entire classroom set of Constitution booklets.

The wonderful lady at the security desk saw the problem that I would be having as this had to have been my first time at the Broward County Public School District. This is one time that I am so glad I was actually thirty (30) minutes ahead of my scheduled appointment.  

When I was told that Superintendent Robert Runcie would be unable to meet with me I clearly understood why that was case. As he was coming in the door for his office, I managed to exchange a pleasant greeting and no coming security guard let me know that I would end my communication and allow the Superintendent to enter the elevator.

It turned out to be great exchange of greeting because I got to meet everyone I needed as well as the Chief of Staff and the personal Administrative Support Manager. I obtained another signature for the book Walkin' Lawton and even more importantly met the wonderful staff and had great thirty (30) minutes communication with the Social Studies Directors.  

I was very glad to have the all day parking pass from the very nice security lady at the front desk. After being pulled away from the Superintendent, I knew how blessed I was to not only earned their professional services but an all day pass which allowed me to park and complete my 27 miles journey in Fort Lauderdale, Broward County without having to worry about my car being towed away.  

As you will see by the pictures, I was blessed to have gotten the all day pass. When I returned from my travel around town, along the U S 1 Federal Highway and scrolling along A1A1 to the beach and finally making it back to the Court House and finding my car still waiting for me instead of being towed; I was one happy person.   

Being the only car in the parking lot (after my 27 miles) and having read the sign no parking after duty or subject to towing I realized the power of that sticker the security people granted me. Thanks to the Superintendent for making sure everyone looked after me during my stay in Fort Lauderdale.

I had a ton of fun handing out Constitution booklets and talking about the Constitution both within the district and the community. The citizens of Broward really are really very nice and everyone seems to think the fifth grade students should have a copy of the Constitution booklets.

My trip went so well that I did not have the time or energy to make the 35 minutes trip to Miami-Dade. I believe a day well spent in South Florida.





Please check out some the pictures as they give a little insight in the beautiful day that I had July 13, 2015. 



 
"Every good citizen makes his country's honor his own, and cherishes it not only as precious
but as sacred."   - Andrew Jackson
Joseph

No comments: