Constituton Project, Inc.

The Mission: Constitution Project, Inc., a Florida non-profit, was founded by Joseph Cofield, for the purpose of putting a copy of the U.S. Constitution and Declaration of Independence in the hands of every 5th grade student in Florida. That is a huge task, as there are over 200,000 5th graders in 67 different Florida counties, but progress ​ is being made thanks to Joseph's extraordinary efforts!

The How: Joseph began his mission in April 2014 and since then, many amazing things have happened. To gather support for his mission, in April of 2015 he began his 27 - 67 Journey Across Florida - visiting each of the 67 Florida counties, riding his bike 21 miles and running 6 in each county (one mile for each of the 27 Amendments). That is over 1,800 difficult miles meeting with state and county officials, school personnel and service organizations.

Sunday, July 5, 2015

Test for getting pictures from camera directly to blog!

July 5, 2015

As I learn more and more about social media, technology, and communication, I will attempt to add more ways that my supporters can get a feel of the excitement that I am feeling during my 27 - 67 journey across Florida.

I am now attempting to get pictures directly from my camera and mobile phone so that I can feed you some of the pictures as I am on the road.

Below is my first attempt:






 
What a wonderful time that I had in Manatee County! I entered the county and drove into Bradenton which I had passed many times in my trips to Tampa and Tallahassee. Finally, I got to run, walk, and cycle my way around this beautiful city. I ran around the city until I found a stop along the River Walk at the Hampton Inn. It was a great break from my running and turned out to be idea because I was given directions to the Robinson Preserve which turned out to be a great blessing because it was easy to find and yet another great trail that I have found in Florida.
 
During my trip to Sarasota, I was impressed with my drive on the Legacy Trail and I was equally impressed with the Robinson Preserve and the many parks that I drove in while doing my 37 miles as part of my 27 - 67 journey across Florida!
 
The temperature when I started my cycling around Manatee County was 94 degrees as I noted from the very nice information board at Martha B. King Middle School (I believe all schools should have one of these very inviting information boards in the front of the schools).
 
When I completed my journey I checked the temperature at the Palma Sola Elementary School (another beautiful information board) at 6:45 pm according to the Panther time (the mascot for the school) was 88 degrees. What a great way to end a beautiful day.
 
Upon my return to Robinson Preserve, I got an opportunity to chat with two great Floridians. I actually met some very nice citizens of Manatee County during my journey. I especially want to thank the very nice lady who lived next to the Oneco Elementary School. She directed me actually to the Manatee County Public Schools District which was something my GPS was unable to do because it guided me to the Oneco Elementary School. Which was not bad because as I toured the elementary school I noticed that it is a great example of for the Positive Behavior Support program. They had the PBS signs with clear expectations posted around the entire school which started at the entry of the office, included the playground, each classroom to include the media center and cafeteria, and equally important the bus ramp. The PBS signs were posted at a level where the students could easily read them as well as clearly printed and installed professionally. This is a school that is committed to their students and clearly is proud of the standards and procedures. The neighbor who gave me the directions was over 70 years old and one of the few people who gave clear and accurate directions. I could clearly see the relationship with the school and the neighborhood from the pride neighbor had for school system.
 
My observance would not be complete without telling you about those two great Floridians at the end of my journey in the Robinson Preserve. The nice lady who took my picture at the preserve (picture between the Palma Sola Elementary School and entering Manatee) listened to my story of why I was doing the 27 - 67 journey across Florida. She stated, "You must come see my friend who is a school official." This is moment that I have waiting for to share with school officials and parents together why this 27 -67 journey across Florida was so important. I explained the purpose was not only to do the 27 miles which represented the 27 Amendments in the United States Constitution but to share with school officials and stakeholders of education why it was important to give a copy of the Constitution to each of the 5th grade students in Florida as well help expand the knowledge of the Constitution in all our youth. I gave both a tee shirt of my the 27 - 67 Journey Across Florida and copies of my Constitution booklets to share with others. I was impressed that they took the time to listen to the entire story especially because they were in a hurry to catch the sunset and it looked to be one of those beautiful sunset.
 
I got to have a wonderful time in Manatee County, I got to get out my message, and I had a great time meeting the citizens of Manatee County and sharing the Constitution while learning a little more about what make living in Florida so special.
 
Joseph Cofield
Educator
James Madison Fellow, 2007

No comments: